Sunday, September 15, 2013

Summer reads

During the Summer I've had plenty of time to read and catch up on some of the new and old releases and I can truly say every single book kept me page turning until the end. I found myself getting attached to the characters and story, then being unable to put the books down, some of them I even managed to read them in one or two days they were that addictive! Somehow I found myself having gone through something with the book, like a bond, and when it's over it's kind of sad until you start a new story.Seeing as just before Summer I was taking my AS exams, I could only touch a book if it was a revision guide or "The Colour Purple" which I was studying for English. I couldn't help peeking in the corner of my eye when sat at my bed doing revision the stack of books waiting for me to read on a leisurely basis, the stories I ACTUALLY wanted to get my nose stuck into.

Finally my exams were over and I could hear the beckoning of "Perks of being a Wallflower" begging to be read. Read number one: Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky There's a certain rule or natural human instinct when you first start a book that is; to smell  it. I'm sure it's a well known fact that books have one to the top 10 nicest smells in the world, why don't they have a book smelling perfume or air fresher? Personally I think it would sell well (Dragon's Den here I come). "The Perks of being a Wallflower" was my quickest read only taking 3 days, sure you could argue that it's thin but it was the story that I found so addictive being wrote in a dairy from that I couldn't put it down. I won't spill any of the details or narrative, you should go and read it for yourself. If you're not a keen reader there is the film version you could watch starring Emma Watson as Sam. I haven't personally        watched it myself and somehow I just don't think it will be able to top the book.

After engrossing myself in a book for 3 days I picked up the 2nd on my pile. Read number two: The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I'm pretty sure half of the population of teenagers in the UK alone have read this book, with people constantly tweeting and recommending it to others. The whole story topic is quite bitter, yet made sweet by the two protagonists Augustus and Hazel Grace. The book takes you on a whole journey stepping into someone else's shoes, whereby you'll share a laugh and a tear. John Green has gave permission for the story to be published again as a film in 2014, I'll definitely be watching!

Seeing as John Green's novels were so addictive and eye opening, I took the liberty of picking up another novel by him, written almost 10 years before his number 1 hit "The Fault in our Stars". Read number 3: Looking for Alaska by John Green. This has the more typical and realistic storyline to it of the love and hate relationships- yes we all have them. It has a whole theme throughout of being stuck in a Labyrinth and not knowing how or where to go, yet there will always be a way out. Yet again a 3 day read as I couldn't even manage to keep the book down, I was too engrossed in the whole story between Miles and Alaska, along with the unexpected tragedies and antics. A funny, silly yet heart breaking book.


Somehow by this point in the Summer holidays I found college nearly back on its way so I thought it was about time I started my English homework of reading one of the books on the list. Read number four: The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. The Woman in Black is one of the most successful horror films we have today (probably because it included Daniel Radcliffe) and I'd even watched it at the cinema before (even though I hate horror films). When I first picked up the book I wasn't looking forward to the story and being scared to turn off the light at night, however after reading on it's nothing like the film and portrays a whole different story, plus there was a bonus (It wasn't scary- thank god)! The Woman in Black is quite a thin book and again was only a 3 day read (what is it with me and 3 days? Always 3,     never 2 or 4)


By this point I was being called a book worm by the whole family who repeatedly joked about my bedroom becoming some sort of library. Read number five:The life of Pi by Yann Martel. Seeing as this was an extremely successful Hollywood movie I thought I'd bring myself to read the book before watching the film adaptation. There's something mysterious and puzzling about the end of the book and in some ways makes you think. I'm sure a lot of you know that Pi  spends over 100 days stuck at sea with a Tiger in a a life boat, but at the end it questions is this was even real and if he imagined it all- you have to go with your instinct here. I believed the story, but maybe I'm just naive.

I left one of the best books till last- an autobiography to be precise. Read number six: Is it just me? by Miranda Hart. Now, I already huge liking for Miranda and own the box sets of her sitcom series Miranda, therefore reading the book was a no brainer. I loved the way she wrote and I ended up reading it in her voice. The topics she brought up were quite serious yet talked about in a hilarious and mockery, for example office jobs, weddings and cringy dates- yep they're all packed in there. Anything you can think of which is an embarrassment to the word "life" is written down. Don't get me wrong it's not all about taking the mickey and award moments, there's a lesson to be learnt to go with your heart to peruse the right dream. Miranda says she wanted to work in politics and realised she was chasing the wrong dream. Could you imagine Miranda in the House of Commons? Comedy gold.

Now that college has started again (unfortunately) I have the excitement of reading Equus, A street car named Desire and Othello. I can hardly contain my excitement (*cough* sarcasm).

No comments :

Post a Comment